Wellington, the capital city of New Zealand, is a fantastic destination for families with kids. The city offers many fun-filled activities and attractions that are perfect for kids of all ages.
Whether you are looking for outdoor adventures, cultural experiences, or educational activities, Wellington has something for everyone.
From exploring the city’s museums and galleries to enjoying the stunning natural beauty of the surrounding landscape, there are plenty of things to do with kids in Wellington.
Families can stroll through the Botanic Garden, visit the Wellington Zoo, or take a cable car ride to the top of the city’s hills for panoramic views of the city and harbour.
For those looking for a bit of adventure, Wellington also offers a range of thrilling activities such as bungee jumping, ziplining, and mountain biking.
With so many options available, it’s no wonder that Wellington is considered one of the best family-friendly destinations in New Zealand.
Parks and Playgrounds
Wellington has a range of parks and playgrounds perfect for a day out with the kids.
Here are some of the best:
|Central Park||A large park with a playground, skate park, and sports fields.|
|Frank Kitts Park||A waterfront park with a playground, fountain, and beach area.|
|Oriental Bay Beach||A popular beach with a playground, paddle boats, and cafes.|
Zoo and Wildlife Sanctuary
The Wellington Zoo and Zealandia Ecosanctuary are great places to take kids for an up-close look at animals.
- The Wellington Zoo has over 100 species, including lions, tigers, and giraffes.
- The Zealandia Ecosanctuary is a protected habitat for native New Zealand wildlife, including kiwis, tuataras, and kākā.
Beaches and Waterfronts
Wellington’s waterfront is a great place to spend a sunny day with the family. Here are some of the best beaches and waterfronts:
- Oriental Bay Beach – a popular beach with a playground, paddle boats, and cafes.
- Scorching Bay – a sheltered beach with calm waters, perfect for swimming.
- Days Bay – a picturesque beach with a playground and cafes, accessible by ferry from Wellington.
Museums and Galleries
Wellington is home to some of the best museums and galleries in New Zealand. These are great places to visit on a rainy day or when you want to escape the heat. Here are some of the top museums and galleries in Wellington:
- Te Papa Tongarewa – New Zealand’s national museum and art gallery. It has a wide range of exhibits and interactive displays that are suitable for all ages.
- Wellington Cable Car Museum – This museum is located at the top of the Wellington Cable Car and tells the story of the cable car’s history and its impact on the city.
- City Gallery Wellington – This contemporary art gallery showcases local and international artists and has a range of exhibitions throughout the year.
Indoor Playgrounds and Trampoline Parks
Indoor playgrounds and trampoline parks are great places to take kids on a rainy day or when you want to burn off some energy.
Here are some of the top indoor playgrounds and trampoline parks in Wellington:
|Junglerama||Indoor playground with slides, ball pits, and climbing structures.||Lower Hutt|
|Chipmunks||Popular indoor playland with zones for different ages||Lyall Bay and Tawa|
|Jumperama Hutt||Trampoline park with dodgeball, foam pits, and a ninja course.|
Science centres are great places to learn about science in a fun and interactive way.
Here are some of the top aquariums and science centres in Wellington:
- Space Place – This science centre in the Carter Observatory has interactive displays about space and astronomy.
- Wellington Museum
Cinemas and Theatres
Wellington has a great selection of cinemas and theatres that cater to all ages.
From blockbuster movies to indie films, there’s something for everyone. Here are some of the best cinemas and theatres to check out:
- The Embassy Theatre – This iconic cinema is known for its grand architecture and is a must-visit for movie lovers. It hosts movie premieres and special events throughout the year.
- Roxy Cinema – This boutique cinema offers a luxurious movie-watching experience with plush seats and gourmet food and drinks.
- Circa Theatre – This theatre showcases a range of plays and performances throughout the year, including family-friendly shows.
Bowling Alleys and Mini Golf Courses
Bowling alleys and mini golf courses are a fun way to spend an afternoon with the family.
Here are some of the best places to go:
This bowling alley has a fun atmosphere with neon lights and music. It also has an arcade and laser tag.
This mini golf course has a pirate theme and is perfect for kids of all ages.
Escape Rooms and Laser Tag
For older kids who enjoy a challenge, escape rooms and laser tag are a great way to spend an afternoon.
Here are some of the best places to go:
- Escape Mate – This escape room has a range of themes, including a spy room and a zombie room.
- Laserforce – This laser tag arena has multiple levels and is perfect for older kids and teenagers.
- Escape Room Wellington – This escape room has a range of themes, including a haunted house and a bank heist.
Events and Festivals
Wellington is known for its vibrant events and festivals that are perfect for family outings.
Here are some of the top events and festivals that your kids will enjoy:
- Wellington Pasifika Festival: This festival celebrates Pacific Island culture and heritage through music, dance, food, and crafts. It is held annually in January at Odlins Plaza and is free to attend.
- Wellington Diwali Festival: This festival celebrates the Indian festival of lights and is held annually in October at the TSB Arena. It features traditional Indian food, music, and dance performances.
In addition to these major events, there are several other family-friendly events that take place throughout the year, such as:
- Capital E National Arts Festival: This festival is held annually in March and features theatre, dance, and music performances for children of all ages.
- Wellington Ice Rink: This outdoor ice rink is set up annually in July at Queens Wharf and is perfect for a fun family outing.
- Wellington Night Market: This market is held every Friday and Saturday night on Cuba Street and features food, crafts, and live music.
Make sure to check the WellingtonNZ website for the latest updates on upcoming events and festivals in the city.
Food and Drink
Here are some of the top picks:
|The Crab Shack||Queen’s Wharf||Seafood|
|Burger Liquor||Cuba Street||Burgers and cocktails|
|The Larder||Miramar||New Zealand cuisine|
These restaurants offer an excellent atmosphere for families and have menus catering to kids and adults.
They also have high chairs and changing facilities available.
Ice Cream and Sweet Treats
Here are some of the best:
- Gelissimo Gelato – located on Cuba Street, Gelissimo Gelato offers a range of delicious gelato flavours that are made fresh daily.
- Scopa Caffe Cucina – located on Cuba Street, Scopa Caffe Cucina is known for their delicious Italian-style gelato.
- Chocolate Fish Cafe – located in Shelly Bay, Chocolate Fish Cafe offers a range of sweet treats, including cakes, slices, and ice cream.
These sweet treat options are perfect for an after-dinner dessert or a mid-day snack.
They offer a great selection of flavours and are sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
As you can see, you’ll never be stuck for things to do in Wellington with kids.
It’s a fabulous city for families – we’re big fans here at SchoolHolidays.co.nz HQ.